Frequently Asked Questions

1) General Program Questions
2) Prerequisite Course Questions
3) Application Questions
4) Career Questions
5) General University of Haifa Questions

1) General Program Questions:
       How long does it take to complete the MA program?
       The program is a full-time, one-year program that spans three semesters.  

When does the program start? When does it end?
The academic year begins in October and ends in September. See the academic calendar for upcoming program dates.

What accreditation does this program have?
The MA program is approved by Israel’s Council for Higher Education. The University of Haifa is also recognized by the UNESCO-based International Association of Universities.

Will I need to live in Haifa in order to do this program?
It is not mandatory to live in Haifa to study in the program. However, because the program is intensive it is highly recommended to stay in the University’s dorms.

How does the University of Haifa compare with other schools offering the same program?
UH’s MA degree differs from other schools in that we offer the MA in one year and that it is an international program, thus providing a multicultural experience and a global perspective on the field of art therapy.

Do I have to know Hebrew in order to attend this program?
No. The program is taught in English and is geared for the international community.

Will I be required to purchase books for the program?
The majority of the course text is available online. If a textbook is required for a course, it will be made available for purchase at the university store or a copy will be placed on reserve in the library.

Can I be put in contact with a graduate of the program?
Yes, we have alumni that would love to talk about their experience with you. Please be in touch with us via email and we will send you their contact details.

2) Prerequisite Course Questions:
       I have years of practical experience in the fields of art and counseling, will that fulfill any of the prerequisites?
       Practical experience, as educational as it is, does not count for academic prerequisites. Since the MA program is under the
       auspices of the Council of Education, there are academic requirements that must be  fulfilled and we are unable to waive.

I took several advanced art classes in high school, will those count toward my 300 hours of art training?
We can only count high school level art training if you have successfully completed an AP exam, A-Level exam, or Bagrut in art. However, this will only count as a small portion of your training hours.

I am a self-taught artist, what do I do regarding the 300 prerequisite hours of art training?
As stated earlier, the MA program is under the auspices of the Council of Education, and there are academic requirements that must be fulfilled. Therefore, you must complete art training and provide official documentation of the training hours.

I found a course online, but it is not through a university or college, will that count for my prerequisite?
We only accept prerequisite courses from formal academic institutions.

I took a class that covered the content of one of the psychology prerequisite courses, but it was under a different name. How can I have that prerequisite waived?
In order to waive a prerequisite, you must provide proof that you have completed the content of said course. When submitting your transcript for review, please provide an official copy of the syllabus of the course you would like to have evaluated.  

3) Application Questions:
      Is there an English-language requirement?
      Yes, all candidates, who have not previously studied at an institution of higher education where the language of instruction is
      English or who are not native speakers of English, must submit official TOEFL scores or equivalent as part of the application. The
      minimum TOEFL score required for admission is: 570 on the paper-based test, 230 on the computer-based test or 89 on the
      online-based test.

Do I need to submit all my application materials together?
It is highly recommended to submit all of your materials together; however, you are able to submit your application materials as soon as they are ready. We will open a file for you and once we receive all of your materials, we will send it to the review committee. Your recommenders may send their letter directly to the University if they wish to do so.

What kinds of recommendation letters are acceptable?
Ideally, we would like to receive two letters of recommendation from faculty members at institutions of higher education who have taught you and can attest to your academic abilities. If you are not able to obtain such recommendations or can only obtain one, we may accept recommendations from persons who have supervised you in professional settings that are relevant to the program's objectives. Recommendations from persons not meeting these criteria may be added to the required recommendations but cannot replace them.

My undergraduate degree is in a discipline outside of the social or behavioral sciences. Can I still apply?
Yes, but you may be required to take prerequisite courses. If you are fluent in Hebrew, you may take the prerequisite courses at the University of Haifa in the summer semester before beginning the master's program. If not, you may take them at any accredited institution of higher education in your home country or online.

I am in my last year of my undergraduate studies and expect to graduate in the spring. Can I still apply?
Yes, but your acceptance will be conditional upon completing your undergraduate studies before beginning the program with the minimum required GPA. For graduates of Israeli institutions only, final grades for completed undergraduate courses may be received until the end of the fall semester. Both International and Israeli students must provide proof of the degree conferral (transcript, diploma, or official letter) before starting the MA program.

My undergraduate GPA is below 3.0 or 80%. Can I still apply?
You may submit a request for special consideration by the admissions committee. In the request letter, explain why you believe that your application merits consideration despite not meeting the minimum requirements. Note that wanting very much to study in the program is not a good enough reason for special consideration. However, relevant professional experience or special circumstances during undergraduate studies may be grounds for consideration. The request must be submitted in writing and approved by the committee before a full application is submitted.

I am an Israeli citizen, but have lived abroad for many years. Do I apply as an Israeli or as an international student?
You may use either application procedure. Contact the admissions office at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to determine whether you will be required to pay the Israeli or the international tuition.

I intend to make Aliyah when starting the program. Do I apply as an Israeli or as an international student?
Use the application procedure for international candidates. Once you become an Israeli citizen, you will be eligible for reduced tuition.

4) Career Questions:
      What are the kinds of careers people pursue after obtaining a master's degree in one of these programs?
      Graduates of our programs work as creative art therapists in a variety of places such as, but not limited to clinics, hospitals,
      schools, private practice, etc. Because creative art therapy graduates can offer a range of expertise with various modalities, they
      often find employment in a variety of settings.

Does the program you offer provide licensure?
We provide graduate training in art therapy.  As a training program, we are not a statutory body that licenses art therapists. You graduate from the program with an MA in Creative Arts Therapy, Specializing in Art Therapy.

How do I go about registering for licensure as an art therapist?
Each country has its own specifications for registration procedures. To learn more, please refer to your country's statutory body that registers art therapists - if available.  If you are planning on working in the US, make sure to check the requirement of your particular state for requirements vary by state. What follows is a short list of examples:

Art Therapy Credentials Boards
American Art Therapy Association
Creative Arts Therapy License Requirements in NY State

British Association of Art Therapists
Health and Care Professions Council  

Health Professions Council of South Africa

5) General University of Haifa Questions:
       Are the restaurants and cafeterias in the campus Koshers?
       There are several coffee shops and student restaurants on campus. All eating establishments are kosher.

Where are the dorms located?
The dorms are located on campus, a two-minute walk from the multi-purpose building and a five-minute walk from the main building (Eshkol Tower).

How many roommates in the dorm?
MA students are housed in the Talia Dormitories in apartments of three or six single rooms, each with its own bathroom, and a shared kitchen and living space.

How far is the campus from the Carmel Centre?
No more than 10 to 20 minutes by bus.

How far is the campus from the Haifa beaches?
20-30 minutes by bus. The Dado beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in Israel with a very nice promenade. All beaches are free entrance.

How far is campus from the train station?
The closest train station is Hof Ha’Carmel with service to the north, centre and south of Israel. Hof Ha’Carmel is 20-30 minutes by bus.

Where are bus stops with service into the city located?
There are two bus stops right on campus located outside the Dorms/Multi-Purpose Building and the Eshkol Tower.

You are here: Home FAQs